Tariq Ramadan gets Oxford job

Tariq RamadanA prominent Islamic scholar who has been banned from the US is to teach at Oxford University. Professor Tariq Ramadan, who lives in Geneva, was named as one of the 21st Century’s great innovators by Time Magazine last year for his work. St Antony’s College says he is due to begin a Visiting Fellowship in October.

A college spokesperson said: “Professor Ramadan is an internationally-recognised scholar. Professor Ramadan is a regular visitor to Britain and the other states of the EU, without exception. St Antony’s college is a forum for free academic exchange on the issues of our times, and opposes all manifestations of hate speech and intimidation designed to curb academic freedoms.”

BBC News, 27 August 2005

Robert Spencer is not happy: Dhimmi Watch, 27 August 2005

‘A Question of Leadership’: MCB letter to Ofcom

Here is the text of the Muslim Council of Britain’s letter of complaint to Ofcom in response to the Panorama programme “A Question of Leadership”:

Dishonest Omissions

1. The programme portrayed the MCB as being ‘in denial’ about extremism. The MCB makes no claims about perfection and we do have many shortcomings. However, it was deeply unfair of the Panorama team not to make mention of the MCB’s efforts to help promote the common good by sending a written emergency appeal – following the Madrid bombings – to every Islamic organisation and mosque in the country urging vigilance against the terror threat and cooperation with the police. In addition, in September 2004, the MCB printed 500,000 copies of a Pocket Guide on Rights and Responsibilities. This contained a section on ‘Vigilance and the Terror Threat’ in which we prominently printed the Anti-Terror Hotline Number.

The inclusion of the above information would have refuted the “denial” portrayed by John Ware. Accordingly, the omission of such information in our view breaches paragraphs 5.7, 5.11, 7.1 and 7.9 of the Broadcasting Code.

2. Sir Iqbal Sacranie was questioned in the programme in detail about statements attributed to some of our affiliates. By contrast, Dr Ghayasuddin Siddiqui (of the Muslim Parliament) was approvingly quoted in the programme several times and was not questioned in the programme at all about the far more controversial statement about bombing No 10 Downing Street made by his deputy Dr Yaqub Zaki which appeared in the national newspapers on the very morning of the Panorama programme.

The omission of such information in our view further breaches paragraphs 5.7, 7.1 and 7.9 of the Broadcasting Code.

Continue reading

UK Muslims decry ‘draconian’ terror guidelines

The sizable Muslim minority in Britain decried the government’s new guidelines on deporting and barring Islamists suspected of inciting terrorism as too vague, warning they could further fan Islamophobia in Britain. “The list of ‘unacceptable behaviors’ announced by the Home Secretary as grounds for exclusion of foreign nationals from the UK is considered to be too wide and unclear,” the Muslim Council of Britain (MCB) said in a statement posted on its web site.

“We are especially concerned that senior Islamic scholars will be barred from the UK purely on the basis of media witch-hunts orchestrated by pro-Israeli elements,” Inayat Bunglawala, MCB media officer, told Agence France Presse (AFP).

Islam Online, 25 August 2005

Ken Livingstone: ‘Nelson Mandela test’ to judge Clarke’s proposals

Mayor of London Ken Livingstone said he would apply a “Nelson Mandela test” to new proposals announced by the Home Secretary on Wednesday as a response to last month’s bombings. Livingstone said he would judge the proposals on whether it would have ensnared supporters of Nelson Mandela when he was earlier in prison after leading an armed anti-government struggle. He added that if Britain banned Sheikh Yussef al-Qaradawi from entering the country, he would take the government to court.

MAB press release, 25 August 2005

See also Islam Online, 25 August 2005

Complain to BBC about Panorama programme – FOSIS

John Ware’s Panorama programme “A Question of Leadership” aired Sunday night on BBC1 smeared respected Muslim organisations and leaders in Britain. FOSIS President Wakkas Khan said today:

“The programme has been a stain on the BBC’s record for fairness and impartiality. The producers have acted irresponsibly in its usage of quotations and editing. John Ware carelessly calls for Muslims to deny their right to engage in mainstream society. Islam is not only personal and spiritual in its nature but it also advocates justice and promotion of good through a strong political identity. It seems that to qualify as so-called ‘moderates’ Muslims are required to remain silent about oppression around the world; otherwise they are labelled as ‘extremists’.”

FOSIS action alert, 24 August 2005

TUC urges action on Muslim plight

Muslim communities in Britain have faced too many “cheap calls to integrate” since last month’s London bomb attacks and should instead receive increased government funding to tackle widespread poverty and poor health, the TUC leader, Brendan Barber, said yesterday.

Publishing a report saying that people of Pakistani and Bangladeshi origin are among the most deprived in the UK, Mr Barber warned that greater social inclusion was being jeopardised by high levels of poverty that risked potentially fuelling extremist beliefs.

“Social deprivation and poverty is no excuse for criminality, but it can be a breeding ground for poisonous beliefs of all kinds,” he said. “Even if there had been no bomb attacks, a civilised country should not tolerate such high levels of poverty and deprivation.

“We have had too many cheap calls for Muslims to integrate, some of which have come close to asking people to give up crucial parts of their identity. Building a tolerant liberal society where we are all free to express the different sides that make up anyone’s identity will be that much harder when some groups suffer from such extreme levels of deprivation and poverty.”

The TUC’s report, to be launched by Mr Barber today at the East London mosque, calls for government job creation and other programmes to be targeted at Muslims from Pakistan and Bangladesh. Out of every 100 white people, 20 live below the government poverty line, but 69 out of every 100 Pakistanis and Bangladeshis in Britain live in poverty, the study says.

Guardian, 24 August 2005

See also “End UK Pakistani and Bangladeshi poverty and deprivation says TUC”, TUC press release, 19 August 2005

MAB urges Home Secretary to be consistent

The Muslim Association of Britain today said that the Home Secretary Charles Clarke should try any terrorist suspects in the UK rather than deporting them. The organisation also queried what the definition of “terror” would be when judging if someone had “justified” or “glorified” it abroad.

Ahmed Al-Sheikh, President of MAB said:

“It’s only right that if someone is suspected of a crime that they should be tried for it. By saying the government is simply going to deport people instead, it leaves the suspicion that they are trying to appear tough on the issue. In reality, it’s not a very clever policy. To fight terrorism, the government needs to win hearts and minds through serious engagement and dialogue rather than introducing draconian measures which will alienate communities and erode civil liberties.

“One added complication seems to be the definition of terror which Mr Clarke has consistently avoided. We are concerned that recently the government has branded legitimate struggles against oppression and occupation as terrorism. This should not be the case, but if it is, then anyone glorifying or justifying the killings on the side of illegal military occupiers should also be guilty of inciting terror. There should not be a different moral standard whether the killing is carried out by homemade bombs or by F16s and tanks.”

MAB press release, 24 August 2005

BBC defends Panorama’s Muslim film

The BBC has received 250 complaints about Sunday’s controversial Panorama documentary on the challenges faced by the Muslim community in the wake of the July 7 bombings, which was yesterday labelled “a complete travesty” by the Muslim Council of Britain.

The lobby group said yesterday that it planned to send a formal letter of complaint to the BBC director general, Mark Thompson, calling the programme “deeply dishonest”.

Guardian, 23 August 2005

See also “Muslims attack BBC over ‘unfair’ film”, Daily Telegraph, 23 August 2005

And “MCB demands BBC apology”, Islam Online, 23 August 2005