Khadija Ravat pulls out of ‘alternative Christmas message’

The Daily Telegraph reports that Khadija Ravat, who was due to deliver Channel 4’s “alternative Christmas message” has pulled out of the programme. A spokesman for Channel 4, however, is quoted as saying that they are trying to find another Muslim woman to replace her.

A “source close to the programme makers” is quoted as saying that Khadija had been “pressurised by senior members of the community who felt it was not her place to talk about Islam”. More likely, it was pointed out that Channel 4’s provocative stunt could only play into the hands of anti-Muslim bigots intent on portraying Islam as an alien ideology.

Christian right in Australia given green light to incite hatred against Islam

Two Christian pastors found to have vilified Muslims stood on the steps of the Court of Appeal yesterday after the ruling was overturned and vowed to keep telling “the truth” about Islam.

Pastor Daniel Scot, who conducted the 2002 seminar on jihad that led to the case under Victoria’s religious hatred laws, said: “Some Muslims have got the idea they have to hide the truth, and that’s very sad.” Insisting that he would continue his seminars on the Koran and Hadiths (Islam’s sacred texts), he said: “People should know it from the primary sources, and not be misled by politically correct teachers who don’t know the reality of Islam and want to glorify it with false pretensions and assumptions.”

Uniting Church justice spokesman Mark Zirnsak said he hoped the judgement would not be seen as a green light for groups to incite racial or religious hatred, believing that the law had been watered down. “There are groups who may be emboldened to test what they can get away with. People might be assaulted or insulted or mistreated because of their race or religion – that’s been our key concern.”

The Age, 15 December 2006

Mad Mel hails “a step forward down under“.

Nun accused of religious harassment

Ruth AugustusA nun was convicted of religious harassment after ranting against “terrorist” Muslims in the middle of London’s busy Oxford Street. Sister Ruth Augustus, 66, was fined £200 after she shouted at two women in full robes and veils “you’re probably terrorists, get back to your own country”. City of Westminster Magistrates Court heard how trouble flared when Augustus, a missionary who has worked with prostitutes in the developing world, was handing out prayer leaflets outside Debenhams department store on Easter Tuesday.

WPC Natasha Walker said she heard a ‘commotion’ outside the shop and went to investigate. The officer said: “I heard someone shouting ‘terrorists, terrorists’ more than once. It’s busy on Oxford Street, so she must have been shouting really loud. I turned round and noticed there were a group of people standing outside Debenhams. Sister Augustus was shouting ‘terrorists’ repeatedly and other things about Muslims. I asked her to stop, but she refused. She said ‘I will not stop, I’m a nun’.”

Life Style Extra, 15 December 2006

BNP mosque leaflet full of ‘lies’

A Bromley councillor has condemned “out and out lies” in a leaflet from the British National Party attacking plans to “build a mosque” in the borough. Colin Willetts said residents in St Paul’s Cray had been concerned over the literature and feared it could spark divisions in the community. “They are out and out lies,” said Mr Willetts, who represents Cray Valley West ward. “I have had to reassure residents that, if there were an application to build a mosque, obviously I would let them know. The leaflet gives the impression they are going to build something when, in actual fact, there has been no planning application.”

The BNP’s Cray Valley Matters special edition leaflet, containing the headline “Tories set to give go-ahead for mosque in St Paul’s Cray”, was delivered to residents and alleges the council had given permission for a mosque in Sevenoaks Road. The leaflet includes a picture of a building with a golden dome superimposed on its roof above a caption saying “how Cray Valley might look with a mosque”. It also provides “facts you should know about radical Islam”, claiming followers aim to “take over as the dominant religious force in the UK” and blaming Labour and Conservatives for “courting the Muslim vote”.

Bromley Times, 13 December 2006

Fascists attack Jon Cruddas

Jon Cruddas (2)The BNP’s front organisation Civil Liberty launches an attack on Dagenham Labour MP Jon Cruddas:

“Jon Cruddas MP recently spoke at the Islamophobia rally and also at the CRE’s Race Convention, both in London. He called for an amnesty for illegal entrants and bogus asylum-seekers. He has also supported a special house building programme for illegal migrants….

“Incredibly, Mr Cruddas is a candidate for the deputy leadership of the Labour Party once John Prescott steps down. Other candidates include Harriett Harman, former legal officer of Liberty, our sister [sic] ‘human rights’ group, and wife of the Labour party treasurer, Jack Dromey.”

Civl Liberty news report, 14 December 2006

Watch Jon Cruddas’s speech to the 20 November anti-Islamophobia rally here.

Over 100 prisons identified worldwide for illegal detention in ‘War on Terror’

Disappearances in the War on Terror have formed an integral part of the Bush administration’s programme of secret detention.

This latest report by Cageprisoners: Beyond the Law: The War on Terror’s Secret Network of Global Detentions, highlights the wide-reaching extent of those countries that house these detainees, generally at the behest of the US government. The report shows that out of the 120 prisons identified worldwide, 72 have been, or are currently being used by the US to interrogate detainees.

By piecing together statements of released detainees, work of investigative journalists and human rights organisations, we provide the most definitive and up to date list of prisons used in the “War on Terror”.

Commenting on the findings of the report, Manfred Nowak, UN Special Rapporteur on Torture, wrote, “… Cageprisoners publishes a comprehensive report which reveals the systematic practice of enforced disappearances in a global network of secret places of detention.”

Further the Chair of the British Institute of Human Rights, Geoffrey Bindman, states that in the policies of the War on Terror, “This report is directed at one glaringly disgraceful element in that strategy: the detention without charge or trial and the physical abuse of those suspected of involvement in terrorism.”

Cageprisoners press release, 13 December 2006

Racist BNP foiled over school ban

bnp-islam-posterBritish National Party councillors have been branded a “bunch of racists” after they attempted to ban halal meat from borough schools in Barking & Dagenham. Jeanne Alexander, the borough’s executive councillor for children services, made the outburst as the assembly examined a raft of controversial proposals tabled by the far right party.

Councillors were asked to consider banning halal meat from schools, Islamic headdress from public buildings and flying the union flag throughout the year. But the 12 BNP councillors elected to the council earlier this year did not have enough political weight to push through any of the proposals last week. All of their 12 motions were either defeated or amended beyond recognition by the Labour party.

Continue reading

Nazis back SPCK over Qur’an

The fascists have caught up with the news that the SPCK (Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge) has decided to remove the Qur’an from sale in its bookshops:

“This is only logical, as I have been inside Islamic bookshops which have sprung up like toadstools in Britain’s inner cities, and not once have I seen a Bible on display. Islam has a clear agenda – to proselytize and conquer…. The move is good news both for the vast majority of Britons who still claim to be Christian and the secular Britons who fear the growing Islamification of our islands.”

BNP news article, 12 December 2006

Anti-Nazis humiliate the BNP in Dagenham

UAF demoAn attempt by the fascist British National Party (BNP) to hold a racist rally in Dagenham, east London, ended in its humiliation last Saturday.

Despite extensive leafleting in the borough, the Nazis only managed to attract around 70 people to their rally – and they were surrounded by over 400 anti-fascist protesters chanting slogans and jeering at them.

The anti-Nazi counter demonstration, called by Unite Against Fascism, drew a large, vibrant and diverse crowd of local residents, trade unionists, students and anti-racist activists. East London trade unions were particularly visible on the Unite demonstration, with banners from local branches of the GMB, T&G, RMT, PCS, NUT and Unison unions.

Richard Barnbrook, the leader of the BNP’s 12-strong council group in Barking & Dagenham, struggled to make himself heard to the small crowd gathered in a car park near Dagenham civic centre. His words were drowned out by the chorus of anger and derision from anti-fascists. The BNP supporters eventually filed away, visibly downcast and uncomfortable.

Socialist Worker, 16 December 2006

See also Unite Against Fascism news report, 12 December 2006

‘Speaking on our own terms’

“Muslim women are fast becoming the battleground on which the future of Islam and Muslims in the UK and beyond is being fought. At his much-anticipated speech on the future of multiculturalism last Friday, Tony Blair recommended that the Equal Opportunities Commission open an official investigation into the kind of access women are given in Britain’s mosques. This of course was said in the same breath as he reiterated his support for Jack Straw’s now stale remarks on the face veil and announced sanctimoniously that face veils ought to be removed in jobs where to face-to-face communication is required.”

Q-News editor Fareena Alam at Comment is Free, 13 December 2006